This decadent creamy vegan sunflower pesto zucchini dish is one of my favorite vegan recipes so far, and perfect for a tasty lunch or dinner. First we soaked raw sunflower seeds for an hour to use as a base for the pesto sauce. Then we spiralized a large zucchini and sweet potato to get a beautiful blend of green vegetable and nutrient-dense root vegetable. I love sweet potatoes because they’re jam-packed with beta-cerotine and also help to raise blood levels of vitamin A.
We mixed in some broccoli and cauliflower florets, which are great sources of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin E, and trace minerals. By steaming the sweet potato noodles, broccoli, and cauliflower until tender but still crisp, we preserved all of the nutrients that would be lost through boiling. For the pesto sauce we blended the soaked sunflower seeds with coconut oil, fresh purple basil, garlic, lime, Himalayan pink salt, and pepper….and the final result was a rainbow-colored bowl of raw vegan deliciousness.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into thin noodles
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced into thin noodles
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- I cup cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped basil
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Garnish with fresh basil
- Soak the raw sunflower seeds in filtered water for at least 1 hour.
- Spiralize the sweet potato and zucchini into thin noodles.
- Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces.
- Steam the spiralized sweet potato, broccoli florets, and cauliflower florets until tender but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Let cool and set off to the side until your sauce is done.
- Drain the sunflower seeds and blend with ½ cup filtered water and coconut oil in a blender. Add the lime juice, basil, salt, pepper, and garlic and blend to a smooth sauce.
- Combine the steamed veggies and sweet potatoes with the zucchini noodles and massage in the sauce.
- Top with the cubed tomatoes and garnish with fresh basil.