Hands up if you’ve got a not-so-secret thing for the most ooey, gooey, luscious carrot cake you can find? Personally, carrot cake is my go-to indulgence when I’m looking to dig my fork into something crazy decadent! With this raw vegan version, you can dig in anytime since it’s packed with healthy ingredients like coconut oil, cashews, pineapple, and the star of the show: the carrots!
Carrot cake is a great low-fat option, since the cake itself is moistened by the carrot and dried fruits, so doesn’t require any oil. You can enjoy this gorgeous carrot cake as a dessert or as breakfast… or a snack anytime. 😉
- 2 cups cashews, preferably soaked for a couple hours
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Water, as needed
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour or buckwheat flour
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup dried pineapple
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- To make the frosting: blend all ingredients in your high speed blender until smooth, adding as little water as possible. Taste it – mmm. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the cake: cut the carrots into small chunks. Then throw all the ingredients (including the carrots) in your food processor and pulse until it’s all in really small pieces and sticks together.
- Assembly: Press half the cake mix into the bottom of an adjustable spring-form pan, mine was about 6 inches. Then spread on about 1/3 of the frosting. Put it in the freezer until the layer of frosting is hard. Then press on the rest of the cake mix. I let it set in the fridge overnight, then frosted the whole thing, but you can do it right away if you want. Take it out of the pan and use the remaining frosting, cover with whatever garnishes you like. Enjoy!