Costa Rica is in what is known as the “green season” right now. As you may have guessed it’s due to how lush this tropical wonderland is at the moment. But, what you may not know is that we usually get a massive downpour once per day which keeps the rainforest vibrant green. While this is incredibly refreshing it also means the air is dense with humidity a lot of the time.
I’ll take humidity over cold any day of the week, so I chose to embrace this heavy weather and celebrate it with all of the abundance that the green season provides. One of the most humble fruits that’s here in wild abundance is lime!
Limes have a wonderful balance of electrolytes and are the perfect addition to your water bottle if you know that you are going to be sweating. Another great way to use them is in cake! Just because we rock a raw vegan lifestyle here at Epic Self doesn’t mean we don’t occasionally indulge in the finer things in life like super rich decadent treats!
Coconut Lime Tart
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dates or raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp of water if needed
- zest from 2 limes
- 1/2 cup of lime juice
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple/date syrup
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews or sunflower seeds
- pinch of vanilla bean powder
- Place almonds and coconut in food processor and pulse until crumbly
- Add raisins and run the food processor until everything is roughly combined and sticky
- Slowly add water if your mixture is too dry
- Pour contents into a lined tart pan or to make smaller tarts pour into a muffin tin
- Press the mixture down so it is dense but not too compact
- Place the crust in the freezer to set while making the filling
- Put all filling ingredients aside from the coconut oil into a high speed blender or food processor and blend until super creamy and well combined
- Slowly add coconut oil until well combined
- Pour everything over your crust and garnish with lime zest
- Leave in the freezer for at least 2 hours to set
- Devour! (mindfully of course)
If berries are more your jam check out this recipe!