Who doesn’t love pizza? In my humble opinion you would have to be crazy not to love it. While I love the way that pizza makes me feel while I’m eating it I absolutely DO NOT love how it makes me feel from about 30 minutes after eating it for the rest of my day. That classic white flour crust combined with ooey gooey cheese essentially creates a sticky glue in your guts that is not appreciated by your precious temple. Cauliflower crust pizza on the other hand is a powerhouse!
This raw vegan pizza is full of vibrantly alive plant goodness that nourishes you from the inside out. When creating this version we opted for a cauliflower based crust for its cancer fighting nutrient density, combined with the healthy fats and oils found in almonds and flax. Add a little spice and although it may not taste like the crust of your hometown pizzaria it has got some seriously delicious chewy comfort!
For the sauce we went for a raw vegan classic that combines fresh and sundried tomatoes and a bit of spice but any great sauce could be used! One of our other favourites is pesto!
In terms of toppings the sky is really the limit. To give our pizza a real cooked sensation we marinated portobello mushrooms, red peppers and onions in balsamic while the crust dehydrated. On top of that is peppery wild arugula to really get your taste buds tingling!
Cauliflower Crust Pizza:
- 4 cups cauliflower
- 4 tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 cup sunflower meal
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- pinch of salt
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and pulse in food processor until it becomes granular like cous cous
- Add all other ingredients and pulse to combine
- Spread your ‘dough’ on a lined dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 118 degrees for about 8 hours checking periodically that it is not cracking
- 2 cups soaked sundried tomatoes
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- Pour all ingredients into the food processor or blender and process until you have a smooth sauce
- Spread evenly across your cauliflower crust
Get creative with your favourite toppings here! These are some that we love!
- Palmito ‘cheese’
- Nutritional yeast
- Balsamic marinated mushrooms, peppers and onions
- Fresh arugula
- Chopped broccoli